Monday, June 27, 2011

the advantage of being small

This past Thursday was one of those days.

Every little thing seemed BIG and the big things seemed GIGANTIC.

Even as I struggled to keep it together in the midst of constant squabbles and general mayhem, I knew in my head that the things that seemed big were really small.  And I knew there was grace sufficient for the really big things.  But somehow what I knew in my head wasn't making it to my heart.

I knew too I could bluster through and it would probably be pretty messy.

OR we could go on an adventure.    We chose the latter.

Six items from the McDonald's value menu, one phone call to a friend for directions, one detour to rendezvous with Jim and use the potty, and we were off!  Braley Pond was our destination.

Here's what I considered as we rode, explored, wondered,      and breathed.

When my surroundings are small, I feel big.  When I feel big, I feel like I have to manage it all.

When I get out where my surroundings are big and the incredible details of the created world - big or small - are infinitely astounding, I remember that I am really small.  And in my smallness, I realize that I don't begin to fathom the bigness of our God.

The limitlessness of His love and wisdom and power.

How I can trust Him!  How I can delight in being small and yet being loved!


Here are some pics from our Alice in Wonderland adventure, when big and small were all mixed up and I remembered the order of things in the process.















O LORD, our Lord,
how majestic is Your name in all the earth!
You have set Your glory above the heavens.
Out of the mouth of babies and infants,
You have established strength because of Your foes,
to still the enemy and the avenger.
When I look at Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
the moon and the stars, which You have set in place,
what is man that You are mindful of him,
and the son of man that You care for him?
- Psalm 8:1-4


3 comments:

  1. ***sigh*** I do love the great outdoors.

    You know, when it's not the back yard. Because that has to be mowed and stuff.

    Isn't Braley Pond fun? So mellow, so low-key, so easy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and also, YES about remembering Who is in control. I like your musings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love it! I can easily see why you guys have visited it so often...

    And I share your love of the great outdoors; I don't know why I forget to get out more, as if the role of wife and mother can only be accomplished indoors! I'm actually much better equipped as both when I do take time OUT.

    ... of course, as you said, in the backyard it requires the ability to squint at the flower beds. Or just to look up above them. Unfortunately I am nearsighted! I really need to get my glasses fixed! :)

    ReplyDelete